Today in REACH, we continued with our unit study of "Scarcity of Water" and we worked in cooperative groups for chess, Hands-On Equations, unit study, and our Kids Discover magazine, "Water."
1. played chess by working with the "Beginnings” program from our chess curriculum. So far, we have learned how the pawns, Queen and Rook move on the board.
2. worked in our “Hands-On Equations” Math curriculum at the appropriate level (based on our pretest scores).
3. began reading a Kids Discover magazine, "Water."
4. went to the computer lab and continued research on “Scarcity of Water.”
5. continued working on our water cycle, definitions for scarcity, and "Were You Aware?"
6. listened to the beginning of the book, "One Well: The Story of Water on Earth" by Rochelle Strauss.
7. created a water cycle using a small cup of water and a plastic bag.
8. cut an apple apart to better understand that 3/4 of the apple is water (like Earth), 1/4 is land (like Earth). We further learned that cutting the skin off of the 3/4 segment of the apple shows the amount of freshwater (frozen and liquid) on Earth and the skin from the land segment (1/4 segment) represents a small fraction of land that can grow food.
9. received our fourth assignment in our writing project this year called "The Curiosity Project." The students have a composition book with "Curiosity Project" and their name on the front. The students glued the fourth assignment into their notebooks and this week the students are asked to make a decision concerning their topic for their final project. You can also go to my website on the Sonny Carter web page to learn more about this project and to see all of the assignments on the power point (www.bcsdk12.net, look at the top and click on "Select a School," click on "Carter Elementary School," click on "Faculty/Staff," click on "Carter, Lin (REACH)," then click on "The Curiosity Project" on the left side). Please review other parts of my webpage as well.
The following students have been selected as winners of the Attendance Poster Contest:
Sophia Herrera- Simmons
Stephanie Harper- Goggans
Michael Snellgrove- Britt
Yolet Morales- King
Jada Law- Brown
Houston Fowler- Griffin
Elizabeth Pascacio- Willis
Dafne Morales- Wilson
Welcome to Porter!
Dr. Kim Reining-Gray - Principal
Chris Kirby - Assistant Principal
5802 School Road Macon, Georgia 31216
Porter Elementary is a school-wide Title I school. Funds from Title I and other federal education programs and resources are used to improve and enhance the educational program for ALL Porter students.